Friday, December 13, 2013

Eye Masks!

I love all the spa and bath gift sets that come out at Christmas time...
but if you are like me, some of them just do not have "just enough" in them for a great gift.
I like to add a few little things to mine to give them a little extra handmade touch.
Sometimes a few scrubby hooked washcloths or bathmitts, or a pair of hooked slippers.
This year I decided to use some of my hooked bits of Irish Crochet and create some eye masks.
Easier to make than I first thought too!
Awhile back I made some superhero eye masks and I kept thinking to use the same method and create some spa-style masks for the ladies in my life.  Finally I did!
I love how they turned out!  And mmm...I filled them with lavender grown, harvested, and dried by myself!  A full circle gift :)






Eye masks are really simple! (There are a ton of tut's out there for those who need photos to follow-along or a more in-depth tut!) I do have some red silk and black hooked lace that I'll be creating next so I'll be sure to do photos for some help!

Here is what I did:
Draw your template on a piece of paper or cardboard.  Cut out your front/back and batting pieces from it.  I take my batting then and sew around the 3 sides, leaving one open to insert the lavender, then sew up the forth side.  On the front piece of fabric, I pinned my hooked lace and then basted it on, making sure that the front side of the fabric was facing upwards. Next I cut a piece of fabric for my elastic "sleeve", making sure it was long enough for a head-size, and basted it to the front piece on each side.  Next I laid the back piece on top of the front piece, right sides together, pin it and sew around the sides and bottom while being careful for the elastic inside. Leave the top open about 4 inches for turning.  Turn it right side out, press the back (being careful with the lace), push the corners out, and then slide the batting inside.  Sew up the top opening and done!  Easy and yet a beautiful gift! 

No comments:

Post a Comment