Friday, April 19, 2013

A new take on the traditional cabbage rolls






This picture is quite a moosh-up as to their original form, as my dear hubby wanted all the "goopy sauce" added to his cabbage rolls.  Silly me, forgot to photo as I was taking from the oven.  Next time I shall take more glorious photos that show how "pretty" these can be!  Never-the-less, they are amazingly easy to make and quite yummy.
I grew up in a family where our Great Grandma made homemade cabbage rolls.  Amazing to smell as they baked, and even more amazing to be one of the lucky "kids" that were able to snag one onto their plates at the family gatherings...as the elder Aunts & Uncles and our parents all practically ran to the food line to grab up these yummy cabbage rolls.  Filled with the typical herbs and spices, rice, onion and garlic, wrapped up and slathered in a combo that tasted like doctored tomato paste.  Awhile back I got to thinking about these cabbage rolls and how they smelled so good while baking.  With my husband and I on our trek of "better eating", I got to thinking on how to change up this recipe.  Viola...I think I did it.  At least we both LOVE them!

Ronna's Cabbage Rolls
Preheat oven 350 and prepare your baking dish (grease it, line it, whatever you like)

Cabbage roll filing:
Brown ground turkey meat with onion and garlic. Add in diced mushrooms and a splash of beef stock. Add your herbs & spices...I added fresh basil, thyme, cracked pepper, and some savory.  Put this in a bowl and added in cooked (and cooled) brown rice.  I had cooked my rice with some diced carrots and celery. Add in an egg and smoosh it all together, just like you would prepare meatballs or meatloaf etc.

Sauce:
I made a basic white sauce, adding in sauted mushrooms, onion, and garlic.  Make this while you are preparing your meat so that it is ready to pour over your cabbage rolls when ready. You could use any canned cream soups if you are in a hurry or don't like to create your own sauce.

Cabbage Leaves tip:
Boil a pot of water (big enough for your head of cabbage), remove the core and put it into your boiling water. Partially cook it, rotating it around a bit. When it's slightly tender, remove and let it cool a bit.  

Stuff your Cabbage:
Lay out a cabbage leaf, place a big spoonful of the meat mixture onto it, and gently tuck in the ends and roll up the rest of the leaf.  Place them seam side down, side-by-side in your prepared baking dish. Continue with the rest. 

Bake:
Top with your sauce and cover with your baking dish lid or foil.  Bake until the cabbage is tender or your husband says "That smells good, when's dinner?"













No comments:

Post a Comment