Thursday, March 7, 2013

My Lasagna Roll-Ups!



My husband and I have been eating healthy...healthier...healthyish...
for quite awhile now.  
I miss pizza and pastas the most, especially ooey gooey lasagna.
Mostly for the noodle.  I LOVE NOODLES!

SO I created these for us for dinner last night. My husband ranted and raved so much, that I know for sure that these will be in my little cookbook that I am creating!

Here you go...what I did:


Ronna's Lasagna Roll-Ups

You can vary this up using just about anything!
For the ones I made last night (pictured) I used grilled chicken, fresh asparagus, mushrooms, garlic & red onion and some Gouda Bisque for the sauce.


To Start:
Boil your lasagna noodles. When they are done, rinse in cold water so they are easy to handle.
I slice a chicken breast in half (flat side) and then slice again, so you have 4 pieces making 4 rolls.
Grill your chicken. Use whatever seasoning you wish.  I just use some cracked pepper, red pepper, and garlic.
Wash & cut up your veggies.
With a little olive oil grill the asparagus with some garlic, the red onion, and the mushrooms.
I use a grilling pan and keep my veggies in their separate corners (makes assembly easier)
In a small pan heat up your sauce.  I either use a basic rue that I add garlic, herbs, & diced mushrooms to,
for this one I love using Gouda Bisque (you can pick up at Safeway, Fred Meyer, just about anywhere with prepared soups in the deli or if you are in a hurry even Cambell's Natural canned or cream ones).

To Assemble:
Prepare a baking dish with some olive oil (or line it, whichever you prefer).
Add a few ladles of sauce to the bottom of the pan.
I use a plate to assemble.  Lay one lasagna noodle so the end is in the middle of the plate, the rest will hang off.

Add your chicken, and carefully add your layers of veggies on top.  Using both hands, roll up the rest of the noodle around the pile of goodies.  After a few you will get the hang of it and it's very easy.  Once rolled up, place into the baking dish so the end of the noodle is on the bottom of pan.
This holds it all together.  Mine stay put, but if you feel more at ease poke a baking toothpick to hold them further.  Repeat for the rest of your rolls.
Ladle a little more sauce over the top of each one.

To Bake:
Everything is "precooked/grilled" so all you need to do upon assembly is put into the oven so it all gets hot & bubbly.
350 for about 30-45 minutes (depending on how thick you make your rolls)

Keep an eye on them so the noodles don't get too hard/brown.
If you wish, top with your favorite cheeses just before removing from the oven. These ones I just add fresh Parmesan before serving.

To Serve:
I use tongs and a spatula to remove from the baking dish.  Squeeze them gently with the tongs and scoop underneath with the spatula, transfer to your plates.
We like having them over a bed of fresh spinach.
Spoon out the remaining sauce from the bottom of the baking dish to top, fresh Parmesan, and chopped parsley.


You can vary these up using just about anything!  Get creative!
Salmon, asparagus, spinach, onion & garlic, fresh dill.   Really yummy to spread some light cream cheese on the noodle before placing the salmon on top.
Shrimp with tomato & mango salsa, fresh cilantro
Braised beef, carrots, mushrooms, onion & garlic, with chunky tomato sauce.
Ground Turkey (or beef if you prefer) ricotta, spinach, onions, garlic & tomatoes (what you would layer in your regular lasagna).

For meatless, portabella mushrooms and your favorite veggies.

No comments:

Post a Comment