Thursday, March 7, 2013

Repurposed Wool Scarf

Today's project...re-purposing a wool scarf 
that I picked up at our local Antique Store. 



It was obvious that it had been washed before, 
but I loved how soft it was and the colors really caught my eye.
It seemed perfect to create into a small cross-body bag.  




The Celtic knot button fell off of a bookmark that my MIL Debbie 
gave me years ago that I have held onto...
and now found the perfect spot for it! 
Lined with a recycled tshirt of my hubby's.  
A great recycle project!
I turned it into a bag in 1 1/2 hours! 



I cut it out by laying both ends of the scarf right-side together, the tassel edges lined up.  Cut the length I wished for the bag.  
Then I cut a small piece to create the front pocket out of.  
The remaining I laid flat, folded in two, cut in half, and cut those in half again.  I trimmed these pieces into 2" wide and used 3 of them to sew together (creating a long strip) for the strap.  Folded & pressed both sided in, then sewed along both sides.  Strap done!  
I laid the pocket piece on top of a piece of tshirt, cutting out them both out on the mat so they are the same sizes. I used the last piece of strips (from the strap pieces) and trimmed the top of the pocket piece with it. Then I lined with interfacing and attached to the front of the bag.   
Next lay out the back of the bag piece on top of 2 pieces of t-shirt material, and cut out the lining.  Interfaced those. 
Attach the zipper to each side as you would any bag.  Remembering to slide in your strap ends on each side.
Next I folded the bag so the right sides were together, tucking the strap out of the way along with the lining.  I wanted the tassel ends to be part of the bag, so I stitched the bottom of the bag with right sides out, instead of the usual way.  Next I pulled the bag back so it was right sides together and readied to sew along the edges all around, but carefully tucked the edges at the bottom of the bag where the tassels are inside a bit more.  Make sense?  
It was a little tricky, but I liked how it turned out!  Sew the rest just like any bag, leaving your opening the in lining for turning.   Turn it right side out and, press, and sew that opening closed.  
Then I glued a metal Celtic button that I had from a bookmark onto the front of the pocket.  I considered making it a real button, with buttonhole, but this wasn't  a typical button so I just glued it on.
There, a cute bag all finished!  

No comments:

Post a Comment